Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quick N Easy Quiche

I like quiche. The problem with quiche (besides it's kind of lame name) is that it's just so fattening! The majority of the calories can be found in the crust. After all, what is pastry but shortening or lard & flour? Ugh.
So, I decided to make a healthier quiche. And it's easier - if you're no good at homemade pastries (which I happen to do OK with), then this is one less hassle for you. Oh, and the kiddies can help - DS loved making these with me!

Ingredients:
  • Whole wheat tortillas
  • Eggs (or substitute) {egg whites is healthier, but less tasty, IMO}
  • Fresh vegetables, diced (I used onions, mushrooms, sweet yellow peppers & baby spinach)
  • Cooked meat, diced (I used some ham)
  • Cheese, shredded
How to:
This is so easy, even a child can do it!
Break open those eggs, and whip them up until they're good & scrambled. Add you vegetables, meat, cheese, or whatever else you feel like tossing into your quiche. Mix again & set aside.
Place your tortillas over round baking dishes that are slightly smaller than the tortilla. Press the tortillas into the bottom of the dish & try to flatten out the edges up the sides of the dish. Fill with egg mixture & bake @350*F for 40 minutes (or until egg is cooked through)

My little guy helped me gather all of our supplies & food, wash the veggies for dicing, broke the eggs, scrambled everything together, punched the tortillas into the baking dish & poured the egg mixture into the shells - all in all, a very successful dinner. Now if only he would have eaten some!

No comments: