Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

I'm sure most of you know what "Pay it Forward" is, either the movie, or simply as a concept. "The expression "pay it forward" is used to describe the concept of asking that a good turn be repaid by having it done to others instead." [Wikipedia]
It's a movement that has been gaining lots of attention in recent years.

If you were previously unaware of pay it forward (because you live under a rock, perhaps), then you will still likely be aware of Random Acts of Kindness, which is kind of similar. There are tons of facebook groups, websites & random business cards that advocate this. Some of the ideas given can be as simple as holding a door for someone, or buying a coffee for the guy behind you in line at the drive thru (and not just because he's cute). I personally have been caught in a Random Act of Kindness in a drive thru that morphed into a Pay it Forward, as every person successively bought a coffee for the person behind them (until, I'm sure, some selfish ass just said thanks and drove off with their free caffeine)

Anyways, the point of this post today is completely non-craft-related.

I don't know what kind of crazy-good karma I have had going for me, but I have had so many Random Acts of Kindness bestowed upon me by complete strangers, that I just want to thank the cosmos, the gods, the powers that be, whoever is responsible for this! Just the other day, I had only $1 & $2 coins in my wallet, and needed a quarter to get a shopping cart; a stranger gave me her cart with a smile. Today, I was picking up a few items for supper for DS, and was just leaving the same grocery store where a young boy was fundraising by selling chocolate bars. DS asked for one, and I checked my wallet, but was tapped for cash. Not that I'm broke, just that my money is all in the bank & I had no cash on me. Another man walking by handed me a $5 bill and told me to "buy the boy a chocolate bar." Before I could decline, he had pressed the bill into my hand and walked quickly away while I tried to thank him. Before I could even get "thank" out of my mouth, he was out of earshot.
I would love to forward this good karma on, and share the generosity I have experienced with others, and have been looking for opportunities. I am generally a courteous person (I think), so something as simple as letting someone cut in front of me in a line, or holding a door open for a stranger are simply part of my normal routine...

In the meantime, I would like to urge you all to keep these simple concepts in mind, and put them into practice in your daily life. It can be as simple as common courtesies, or more elaborate. When you do a kindness to others, don't expect it to be returned. If they offer to do so, maybe suggest they do a kindness to another.


So, do you care to share? What are some of the ways you have experienced these? Or ways you have implemented the same?

2 comments:

Nessa the Procrastinator said...

There are some wonderful people in this world! That was so sweet of the man to give you 5 dollars for the candy. :)


My husband and I love playing mini golf and then playing in the arcade later on. Our favorite is giving a little kid our tickets for toys. This one man gave us one ticket because they couldn't find any thing for one. I just smiled and handed him our receipt for 500 tickets. I think his grandson got about a bazillion pieces of candy! lol.

Candice said...

I used to do that at the arcade too...now I'm the one who gets them instead, cuz DS isn't so great at the games at only 3 years old lol

Awesome way to spread the love and simple enough to do!