Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

I < 3 the Dollar Store!!!

So I know I jumped the gun a bit posting the tutorial for the HESTA knock-offs, but I have been told that my partner Leeska received her package, and I'd like to share the rest of what I made to send her.

Firstly, the sandals, which you can see in the previously linked post.

She had on her wists a magnetic pin tray. So I made her one out of a teacup and saucer:

She also has a love of sunburst mirrors, which are super easy to make for cheap:

She had linked to a dollar-store version of Anthropolgie's Catch & Release scarf, so I whipped one up out of 3 dollar store scaves and a whole lot of ruffles:

She also had a beautifully simple piece of artwork for her kids, which was quite possibly the cheapest to make. Dollarama had a canvas with acrylic paints & a brush for $2. The gold marker was in a gold/silver pack for $1, so a whopping $2.50 to make this beauty, which I apparently forgot to take a picture of...

She had a toddler sewing basket on her wists as well, which is just genious, IMO. I set to work making one for her son, and will follow up with one for my own soon.
Here's some pics of what I made, with the help of DS:

And lastly, I wanted to make something for her DD as well, but given that she is quite young, the toys might not have been the best option for her. So, I bought a set of beautiful pillowcases from Dollarama, and made a pillowcase dress:

These are the pictures that I took, so I hope to see some in-action shots from her on the swap board soon.

Also, not everything is actually from the dollar store. I spent less money at FabricLand on the fabric for the shoes, and less money at goodwill on the teacup & saucer than I did on glassware at Dollarama...and a lot of stash-busting, of course....

I plan on using the matching pillowcase as well, to make a dress for my co-worker's younger daughter. I need to get some more bias tape first.

No comments: