Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Another Swap Angel Package Sent!


I have been pretty busy with work & a kid & life in general, but I do try to fit in as much crafting time as I can without letting everything else fall to pieces.

I offered to angel for another awesome swap on Craftster. I angelled for Hollistercob

abe, who has an awesome boyfriend, a beautiful baby boy, 2 dogs, and a bit of a thing for videogames.
The swap was "Decorate my Room" & sadly her partner flaked on her. It was considered a 5-point swap, with a large item being worth 5 points. The room she chose was her bedroom. When I searched her wists & pinterest, stalked her every way I knew how, I finally came to a decision on what to make her. It took me less than a day to finalize, and then the planning began.

What did I get myself into? I planned to make a queen-sized quilt for her bed, with a Mass Effect theme... I've never even made a baby quilt before! Just crocheted afghans. I guess I figured it would be easier, since I didn't have to sit down & work out all of the motifs...

Well, I had a pretty good idea, just not a fully executable plan. I bought my fabric & other supplies. Then, with the help of my bff (who has made some really awesome quilts) I started to work.

Here's what we managed to come up with:
The Paragon & Renegades logos in white & red on a navy background. Trimmed with black satin binding & backed with a super-plush black blanket. Of course, there is a quilt batting in there too! As neither of us has the capability of machine quilting something this large, I hand-quilted it. In a heat wave. I can't imagine sitting under this thing for longer than I did with the temperatures we experienced this summer, so I kind of feel like I cheated with my quilting. I didn't think a tie-quilt would look right, so I made little X's with black thread wherever a tie would be, hand-sewn.

I really hope she likes it! It will definitely be warm this winter! (Only after I had it 90% complete, did I think to ask where she lived...which is in the southern US - d'oh!)

3 comments:

Nessa the Procrastinator said...

That's amazing! You did a great job. :)

Candice said...

thanks, nessa!

Vee said...

I'm Hollicstercobabe from Craftsters and I loooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooove it!!! We actualyl have a window unit for our room so it's ok that we live in Texas. We looooooove this blanket and the BF actually hasn't slept so good in a long time, I think the Mass Effectness rocks him to sleep lol. This blanket is seriously amazing!